Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sweet M* Baby


I knew this day would come, but I didn't realize how soon.

We are leaving later this summer for Disneyworld and we will be flying so I have been talking to Sweet M* A LOT about airplane rides and where we are going, the hotel, etc... So, last week I decided to get an older photo album out with pictures of us there to show Sweet M*. He loved looking through all of the pictures and then he asked about the baby in the pictures. I explained that the baby was Belle when she was little. He didn't get it though. He would point to another picture of baby Belle and ask if it was baby M*. When I explained that those pictures were all baby Belle he started looking through all of the albums for baby M*. I explained that M* didn't live with mommy (me) when he was a baby. And, we went over his past... that he was born in Ethiopia. He had an Ama and an Aba (mom and dad in Sidamese) etc... But, he said "No, Aba/ Ama... mommy coming." And, then he continued looking for baby M*. I didn't know what to do so I jumped online real quick and showed him a picture of a newborn baby with brown skin. He LOVED it and proudly showed baby M* to his sister and I. But, I felt so bad.

I try to prepare for these types of moments, but that day last week I realized I can't always be a step ahead. Sometimes I'm going to have to think on my feet and I am not always going to do the right thing, or say the right thing at the right time. My question is what would you have done???

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

Oh..that breaks my heart. I think you did exactly what you needed to do. I honestly don't know what I would have done. You did a good job thinking quickly!

writex3 said...

I agree, you did exactly what you needed to do.

We say the "you grew in my heart" bit to Y, and he loves that. As Shea gets more language, maybe that would be something he could relate to?